A good nutrition in the infant stage is essential for the proper development of the organism of the youngest children. Moreover, it is not only a factor that determines the correct functioning of the organism, but also guarantees an optimal capacity for learning, communicating, socializing and adapting to new environments. Children with a good diet have a lower risk of nutritional disorders, anemia and obesity. For the feeding of children from 3 to 6 years old:
- Following the food pyramid can help to have a healthy and balanced diet.
- Eat 5 meals a day: breakfast, mid-morning, lunch, afternoon snack and dinner. Try to keep quantities small and homemade.
- Consume foods rich in fiber 2-3 times a day (vegetables, fruits, legumes, etc).
- Limit as much as possible the consumption of sweets, chocolates or industrial pastries.
- Consume a minimum of two servings per day of milk or dairy products to maintain adequate calcium intake.
- Introduce new foods at the beginning of meals in small amounts and teach them to eat slowly to promote the digestive process.
- Drink plenty of water throughout the day, especially during meals. It is advisable to avoid the consumption of packaged juices.
Activities to promote healthy eating in the classroom
The key to getting children to understand the importance of good eating habits is to use fun activities to motivate them to eat healthy foods. Teachers can warn of the risks of poor nutrition and raise awareness of the consequences of obesity or other eating disorders. There are many activities that can be carried out in the classroom to make students aware of the importance of good nutrition:
Create groups of three or four people so that they can find the foods that appear in the alphabet soup and classify them according to whether they are healthy or not, justifying their answer. Subsequently, in an assembly, each person must defend his or her choice in the way that suits him or her best: by drawing, singing or playing. The most important thing in this activity is that everyone shares the knowledge they have about healthy eating and can develop their creativity and imagination.
This exercise consists of choosing a wide variety of healthy recipes so that students can find out what kind of ingredients have been used to prepare them. This game can encourage children’s curiosity about the ingredients behind their favorite foods, and thus promote greater awareness of healthy eating.
On our Smile and Learn platform, we have a wide variety of videos
variety of videos
about the human body and everything related to healthy eating to help children understand the importance of food. Also on our youtube channel you can find a very concrete video about important aspects about the children’s food, such as carbohydrates, proteins and vitamins. such as carbohydrates, proteins and vitamins.
If you haven’t tried our educational platform yet, you can do it for free by filling out this form